***

Follow Me On TwitterSubscribe

Friday, 22 January 2010

Friday Pie-Day: Orange Asparagus Pie - with a warning

I can't remember for the life of me how I randomly put this pie together. I just saw some reduced asparagus at the supermarket and thought ooh, I'll have that. After using a few spears in a salad, I suddenly felt panicked about having to use the rest up since they were already past their peak quality. Yes, bad I know, I never buy reduced veg but for some reason, I was drawn to those green spears.

Then I thought, hey, wouldn't they look cool all arranged around like spokes? A bit of rummaging through the rest of my veg and I managed to cobble this surprisingly tasty pie together.

However - this might not be the best one to make for guests though, (although it's perfectly adequate for yourself) - let me explain.

Actually, I don't really want to because it might put you off making it altogether..!

...Ah, never mind, I'll tell you anyway, in the most delicate way possible.

Asparagus +
Sweet Potato +
Broccoli +
= something not to be sniffed at (quite literally)

Sorry. Did I lower the tone too much? I had to warn you! I'm usually well posh.

Orange Asparagus Pie with Sweet Potato Mash
For an 8" pie dish (serves 3-4):

1 large sweet potato, in chunks
8 asparagus spears, chopped in half
6 broccoli florets, chopped
4 mushrooms, sliced
1 spring onion, sliced
Small handful of dwarf beans, chopped
200g kidney beans

Sauce:
Juice of 1 orange
1 tsp orange zest
1 tsp ginger
1 tbsp honey

1) Boil the potato til soft. Drain and mash.
2) Meanwhile, blanche the asparagus in a bowl. Fry the broccoli, mushrooms, dwarf beans, spring onion and dwarf beans.
3) Pour over a mixture of orange juice, zest, honey and ginger. Simmer for 5 mins.
4) Transfer to pie dish and arrange asparagus spears on top.
5) Spoon over mashed sweet potato and bake at 180 degrees C for 30 mins.

Pie out.

Read my other Friday Pie-Day adventures.

2 comments:

Mel- GourmetFury.com said...

What a gorgeous asparagus recipe to celebrate spring's arrival. Just want to let you know about an asparagus recipe contest that's super simple to enter and offers gourmet prizes. Hope you'll join us at Beet 'n Squash YOU!

Love, Mel

Hungry Jenny said...

Hey, thanks! Ooh, I will have to start thinking and cooking up some asparagus recipes quick to enter your contest, hopefully I will come up with something in time!

Hungry Jenny x

Related Posts with Thumbnails