***

Follow Me On TwitterSubscribe

Thursday, 9 May 2013

An Ode to Peanut Butter - Kitchen Hero!

One fine day Sainsbury's said to me,
Gee, what do you think a Signature Dish would be?
Hm, I mused, how am I supposed to know?
Ask, they replied, who's your Kitchen Hero?

Look to your cupboard...and rummage around
Your Kitchen Hero is something that can be found...
As a staple product that you can't live without
One that you can never, ever have run out

Why, that's easy, I squealed with glee
Peanut butter is a foodal essential for me
I always have at least two jars in store
If I've only got one left, I run out to buy more

Peanut butter is something I used to hate
But now, every day, I turn to it like a mate
Straight from the jar, or with a trusty bit of toast
I get a daily fix, some days more than most

So back to the important issue at hand
One dish in particular I make that is most grand
My go-to dinner when nothing else will do
A dish to impress friends, it makes them say 'Ooh...'

It's speedy to make, and easy-peasy too
Just get that peanut butter and let me show you
Mix it with Greek yogurt and a little bit of stock
And boom! You got a satay sauce that no-one will dare knock

Read on for the full recipe, I hope you'll try it out
Whether you like it or not, let me know, give me a shout
If not, then this ode I hope you still enjoy
About this Peanut Butter Dinner Dish of Joy!


The Peanut Butter Dinner Dish of Joy! Serves 2:

75g By Sainsbury's smooth peanut butter
75ml hot veggie stock
100g Greek yogurt
300g diced chicken breast
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp honey
1 + 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil
75g celery stalks, chopped
50g mushrooms, sliced
2 spring onions, chopped
Handful of roasted peanuts (or cashew nuts)
Some fresh coriander, roughly chopped

150g white rice, uncooked
250ml boiling water

1. First, a bit of prep. In a jug, pour in the veggie stock, then gently stir in the peanut butter and yogurt.
2. Marinate the chicken in the soy sauce, honey and half a tbsp oil. Leave for about 10 minutes.
3. Put the rice in a pan with the boiling water. Bring to the boil, then turn down, cover and leave to simmer for 20 minutes. Take off the heat, leaving the lid on.
4. Add the remaining tbsp oil to a hot pan, and gently brown the chicken.
5. Add the celery and mushrooms, cooking for another few minutes of minutes.
6. Gently pour in the peanut butter mixture and stir through. Turn down to a simmer, cover and leave to cook a few more minutes.
7. Finally, stir in the nuts and toss in some fresh coriander. Serve with the steamed rice.

Other peanut butter recipes you might enjoy.

2 comments:

Lauren said...

Hi Jenny, that recipe looks amazing. I really love peanut butter in cooked dishes (not so keen just on toast though).

I am thinking about what my kitchen hero would be, maybe something pretty boring like tinned tomatoes. With tinned tomatoes in the house I know I always be able to make something yummy for dinner :)

Laurenx

Hungry Jenny said...

Thanks! I loved baking with it too. Tinned tomatoes aren't boring if they are your kitchen heroes! I always have those in my cupboard too, they are a good fallback I find.

Hungry Jenny x

Related Posts with Thumbnails