***

Follow Me On TwitterSubscribe

Tuesday, 14 May 2013

Fluffy Chocolate Orange Cake

It feels like such a long time since I've made a cake with butter, that I'd forgotten what a difference it makes to the texture. So light and fluffy!

(That makes all my butter-free cakes sound a bit rubbish doesn't it?)

I'm not saying that all butter-free cakes taste heavier - infact, there are some where you can't even tell the difference. There's great satisfaction in serving a cake, hearing the yummy noises, and then seeing the surprise on their face when they hear that it has no butter and/or little sugar.

Obviously then there's also those moments where I serve with a pre-cursor of, 'er, this was a bit more experimental so the texture is a little...different.'

But anyyway. Before I dig myself into a bigger hole, let's get back to the main business of oohing and aahing at this deliciously fluffy chocolate orange cake here...

Fluffy Chocolate Orange Cake For an 8” square tin (25 squares):

250g self raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
175g unsalted butter, softened
125g sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
50ml olive oil
Juice and zest of 1 small orange
75g dark chocolate, broken into small chunks

1.Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C. Sift the flour and baking powder into a large mixing bowl.
2.In another bowl, beat together the butter and sugar. Mix in the beaten eggs, oil and orange juice.
3.Melt the chocolate gently in a pan, mixing in the orange zest. Take off the heat.
4.Pour the butter mixture into the flour mixture and fold in. Carefully stir in the melted zesty chocolate, using a skewer to swirl it around.
5.Transfer the batter to a lined square tin, using a knife to level it out. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until you can pull a skewer out clean.

More Hungry Jenny cakes here.
Other chocolatey recipes you might enjoy.

2 comments:

Yum Yucky said...

perfect. Now I desire a cake with real butter. This cake, in particular. It looks moist and fab and tasty. Gimme.

Hungry Jenny said...

I know, I keep baking with butter recently and I cannot seem to go back...!

Hungry Jenny x

Related Posts with Thumbnails