***

Follow Me On TwitterSubscribe

Sunday, 9 February 2014

Cinnamon Granola Muffins

I found myself in a bit of a granola pickle last week.

Not literally of course - pickled granola sounds gross.

Recently I've got myself hooked on a variety of strawberry granola from Sainsburys, to the point where I don't really like to buy or try any other version. Yes, I know I could easily make my own granola and blah-blah-blah. But hey, we all get lazy right?

Anyway, back to the point - I went to the supermarket to stock up on my beloved strawberry granola and oh shock-of-horrors, they were out of stock.

*gasp*

Being melodramatic here, as there were plenty of other varieties to choose from. I stood there for a good five minutes mulling over which one to buy, all the while suppressing the urge to let out a tantrum childish scream of "But I wanna strawberry oneeee!" Eventually I picked up a red apple, raisin and apricot variety. Sounds nice, it'll do, I thought.

Sadly I was wrong. It tasted nice sure, but it was way too tough and chewy for my delicate teeth. Cor, I'm not going to have time to eat this in the mornings! I certainly had no intention of chucking it away, so I figured I should try and turn it into a more edible breakfast.

And thus, these Cinnamon Granola Muffins were born. As well as the granola, I used some additional dried fruit in the muffin mix also, but you could throw in extra granola in there instead, if you so please.

They are quite dense muffins, as they use wholewheat flour, but perfect for breakfast or a mid-morning snack. I didn't get a chance to test whether these freeze well (as if so, they would be perfect for a grab-and-go jobby), but I forgot to leave one by for this purpose and they all got gobbled up before I realised!

So you shall simply have to bake a batch and see for yourself...
Cinnamon Granola Muffins Makes 12 muffins

150g + 50g granola of your choice
200ml orange juice concentrate
150ml olive oil
2 medium eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
100g brown sugar
200g wholewheat flour
3 tbsp baking powder
3 tsp cinnamon
50g dried mixed fruit

1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C. Put the 150g granola in a bowl, pour over the orange juice and set aside.
2. In a small jug, beat together the oil, eggs, vanilla and sugar. Add in the orange juiced granola.
3. In a mixing bowl, sift in the wholewheat flour. Mix in the baking powder, cinnamon and dried fruit.
4. Pour in the granola juiced mix into the mixing bowl and gently fold in, until just mixed.
5. Spoon the mixture into a lined 12-hole muffin tray. Sprinkle over the remaining 50g granola atop each muffin.
6. Bake for 20-25 mins until risen and golden brown.

More Hungry Jenny cakes here.

Other healthy baking recipes you might enjoy.

2 comments:

Tricia @ Saving room for dessert said...

Hey Jenny! So great to hear from you. These sound perfect to me and I'm loving the orange juice concentrate - yum! I hate when my favorites are out of stock - fits are ok sometimes!

kacper@tastyquery.com/ said...

Hello!

I saw Your blog and I thought it had great recipes and awesome pictures! I therefore would like to invite You to our new culinary website which has just started.

This is how it works in short. TastyQuery.com is a website for food bloggers and their fans allowing them to automatically collect recipes from Your food blog. It's a large database of links to recipes on food blogs. Everyone can join us for free.

For more please visit:
http://tastyquery.com

TastyQuery.com is an English version of our main website called "Mikser Kulinarny", founded in Poland. "Mikser Kulinarny" has a large audience (over 2 mln unique visitors monthly) and with TastyQuery.com we want to repeat that success and drive thousands of new visitors to your food blog.

In case of any questions, don't hesitate to contact us.

Best regards!

Related Posts with Thumbnails